Every member of the household has his or her favourite place to rest – and this is no different for your pet. You can prepare a comfortable dog bed yourself. You will need suitable materials and a bit of willingness to sew! See how to make such a bed step by step.
Materials needed to sew a dog bed:
- outer fabric with dimensions of approximately 0.5 m × 1.6 m,
- inner fabric of the same dimensions,
- cushion fabric – two pieces measuring approx. 0.5 × 0.4 m,
- filling – silicone balls, approx. 250 g,
- strong fabric for the bottom of the bed – 0.5 × 0.6 m,
Tools needed to sew the dog bed:
- sewing scissors,
- measuring tape,
- sewing soap or a special pen,
- hand sewing needle,
- sewing machine.
Step 1: Cutting out the bed
We start by cutting two rectangles from the outer and inner material – about 120 cm by 60 cm – these will be the sides of the bed.
Cut out another 2 rectangles – this will be the front of the bed – measuring approx. 60 × 20 cm, with an opening for the entrance approx. 5 cm from the bottom.
You can freely change the dimensions to adjust the bed to the size of your pet.
Step 2: Pin the materials together and sew in the tab
Join the side of the front with the other part of the outside and pin in place.
Join the inner layer of the bed in the same way. Sew in the piping. Machine stitch the top of both parts with the piping in the middle – it is best to use a zipper foot for this.
Step 3: Sew through the base and sides of the bed
Divide the longer piece of fabric into 3 sections – 50, 60 and 50 cm. Sew them with a straight stitch, joining the outer and inner material.
Step 4: Joining the pieces
Join the other side of the front with the rest of the bed. Sew the outer and inner layers together.
Step 5: Fill the bed
Fill each of the four parts with silicone beads and sew the holes
Step 6: Sew the bottom of the bed
The material that will serve as the bottom of the bed is pinned to the lower part of the bed. Cut it to the correct size beforehand. Sew this part by hand with a needle and thread.
Step 7: Sewing a pillow
Now it is time to make a soft pillow for the bed.
- Cut out two rectangles measuring 40 × 50 cm. If you are making the pillow out of cotton or another non-stretchy material, you need to add a 1.5 cm seam allowance.
- Pin the pieces of material together (right side to right) and sew, leaving an opening for filling the interior with silicone balls.
- After sewing, turn the fabric right side out, fill with silicone balls and sew by hand.
Put the pillow into the bed and you are done! Your pet now has its own special place to rest.